knife story: the pitch

Finally, the story started to take a shape.

I was impressed by the idea of speed competition even during our museum visit and the following research helped me to put ideas together.
01_story

The character for the story is young Dr.R.Liston (well, his animated incarnation). He’s a smart guy, enthusiastic professional, passionate about his job but slightly arrogant. Every operation for him is a challenge and ‘a duel’, every time he’s trying to beat his own record. For his costume I used a couple of victorian illustrations from operation theatres. His white shirt will help me to keep his siluette clean.
02_character

The was he moves reflects his personality. He moves like a ninja – jumping back and forth he reminds both Beethoven and Doc from “Back to the future”. As I planning to experiment with limited “tv-style” animation there will be strong action poses all the time.
03_movement

The main focus will be at doctor’s action but we’ll definitely need some reaction to it. Here are some secondary characters which will be helping to tell the story: some students, a judge who will time the operation and an assistant who brings the bodies. I will need one more to complete the picture, a patient – it will be drunk sailor.
04_secondary

The film will be flat, highly stylised 2D animation 1 min long (that’s our time limit). Something with “Samurai Jack” attitude, inspired by Mary Blair’s art, Polish posters, Monthy Python’s black humour and some work by Rubber House.
05_style

This entry was posted in process and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.